New Wheels in Town

Photo courtesy of The Wenatchee World

The “tin lizzie” that arrived in the town of Douglas with Jess Smith at the wheel drew an audience of the town’s businessmen in this 1907-08 photo. Standing in front of the Douglas Hardware Co., the group includes the hotel man, Bishop Graham, third from left. Sixth from left is Ernest Helm, clerk at the hardware store. The store, owned by Marshall Garrett, was located on main street. At that time, Douglas had a population of only about 48.