Shockers win homecoming game

The Shocker defense stops the Yakama Nation team of Toppenish during Waterville’s homecoming game Oct. 10. (Joel Harding photo)


By Joel Harding

The Shocker football team provided a show for the homecoming game fans Oct. 10. The home team, buoyed by a strong running attack and their potent passing game, defeated the Yakama Nation team of Toppenish by a score of 48-16. The Shockers play Yakama Nation again in Toppenish in an afternoon game Nov. 1.

Mat Deshazer provided the fireworks on the first series of downs after the Shockers received the kickoff. After an incomplete pass, he tore around the right side of the Yakama line for a 20-yard gain. On the next play, he slanted off tackle and didn’t stop until he reached the end zone. Connor Poppie caught the pass from Nolan Ruud for the two-point conversion.

For the game, Deshazer gained 107 yards on the ground. CJ Wall added 56 and Tanner Marden had 63. Wyatt Mires caught two passes for 34 yards. Taylor Riggs also caught two for 65 yards. Ruud completed two of three passes for 34 yards and Tanner Marden completed two for 65 yards.

On the next series of downs, Yakama ran three plays, then the Waterville front sacked the punter to get the ball on the Yakama 26-yard line. Mires caught a Ruud pass for 10 yards and Wall took it the rest of the way across the goal for another touchdown. Mires ran from the tailback position for the conversion. The score was 16-0.

CJ Wall returned a punt 30 yards to the Yakama 22-yard line. On the next play, Ruud was forced to scramble. He escaped one tackle, then found Mires in the end zone for another score.  Marden got the conversion. Waterville went ahead 24-0 and then several plays later, the first quarter ended.

The Shockers kicked off and held Yakama for a series of downs. After a long pass was incomplete, Deshazer broke through for a 35-yard run. Two plays later, Wall popped through the line for another score making it 30-0. There was no conversion.

On the next series of downs, Riggs was in at wide receiver. He caught a 15-yard pass on his back to get the Shockers closer to the goal. After Waterville gave the ball up on downs, Jesus Ruiz recovered a fumble to get it back. Logan Cooper ran it for a couple of yards, then Marden hit Riggs for a 50-yard touchdown. Before the half was over, Marden got another score on a 35-yard run. It was 42-0 as the halftime klaxon sounded. The scoring for Waterville ended when Deshazer picked up a fumble deep in Yakama territory and ran it in for the score. Colin Pate broke through the line and scampered for 85 yards later in the game, but the score was called back because of a penalty.

The younger Shockers played the rest of the game. Even though Yakama scored, the Shocker subs did a good job. Marden showed promise at tailback and Dillon McCullough made a jolting sack late in the game. Waterville has a bye Oct. 17 and will face the Liberty Bell team in an 11-man game Oct. 24.