Pictorial Past | First and last locomotive

This is the Waterville Railway Company’s first and only diesel locomotive, shown in April 1947 parked inside the engine house at Waterville. It was a Davenport-Bressler 152 HP Diesel-Electric built in Seattle for the railway company in 1946. This engine only saw service for two years on the line until a massive rainstorm in June of 1948 closed the line. It was sold in 1951 to Continental Grain Co. in Longview and then scrapped in 1956. Photo from the Doug Nighswonger collection. (Information and provided photo/Darrin Nelson)