Pictorial Past | Douglas County pioneer

The small community of St. Andrews was named after Captain James Saint Andrews (1838-1891), a Civil War veteran who served in the Michigan’s 11th Cavalry. He moved out west with his wife Lucy in 1887 and opened the post office of “St. Andrews” in 1890. He became Douglas County’s second prosecuting attorney. He died in 1891 at the age of 53 and was the first person to be buried in the St. Andrews cemetery. (Information and photo provided by Darrin Nelson)