Our Past | 1945: Waterville, Orondo business news

Selected by Karen Larsen

 

These two articles from the April 12, 1945 edition of the Waterville Empire-Press report the opening of two businesses — one in Waterville and one in Orondo. One can almost see the 1940s-era filling station and the small town grocery with attached filling station.

 

Marney Leases Richfield Station

J.R. Marney has secured a lease on the Richfield service station and expects to open the same sometime after the first of May. The station, built just before the war, was first operated by Jim Hayes. Mr. Hayes closed the station after the war started.

Mr. Marney, a resident of Waterville for many years, is well known to the entire community. He was manager of the Milwaukee Grain Company when it had an office here. Later he lived in Tonasket and Coulee City, and for the past year and a half he has been employed in the machinery department of the Waterville Implement & Hardware Co.

Mr. Marney will handle a line of Richfield products. He will have an announcement in the paper when arrangements have been completed and the station is ready to open.

 

Vinecore Opens Store at Orondo

Frank Vinecore, former Waterville baker, has opened a grocery store and filling station at Orondo, occupying the building formerly known as the Sunset Tavern.

Mr. and Mrs. Vinecore operated the bakery in Waterville for about 10 years, closing that business last year due to lack of help and the condition of Mr. Vinecore’s health.

In his new business, Mr. Vinecore will have a good line of groceries and expects to open a lunch counter later on. He will also sell gasoline and oil. Mrs. Vinecore teaches in the Orondo School.