Pictorial Past | Primitive Pine Canyon

Convict labor from the state penitentiary built the first Pine Canyon road from Orondo to Waterville in 1915-17. It was about five miles long, 30 feet wide, with a maximum grade of 5 percent. The new section branched off the original Corbaley Canyon road. Pine Canyon road was rebuilt in 1949-50 and in the late 1960s. (Witter photo/Wenatchee World archives)