IRIS launches new series

WENATCHEE — The Initiative for Rural Innovation & Stewardship (IRIS) will highlight success stories that connect and strengthen the communities of Orondo, Waterville and Douglas this November when the nonprofit organization launches a new series, Talk About a Place! IRIS is working with local teams to record interviews with residents of Orondo, Waterville and Douglas to learn about the...
read more

Questers meet in Waterville Sept. 21

WATERVILLE — Washington Questers held their state meeting Sept. 21 in Douglas and Waterville. About 29 members from around the state attended the event, hosted by Wenatchee-area chapters Elizabeth Weythman Questers and Millersburg Seekers. The meeting began at the historic Lutheran Church in Douglas with a program on the history of the church followed by a demonstration of wheat weaving by...
read more

Walking for a purpose

Stacie Eichinger of Tucson, Ariz., is on a nine-month walk across the U.S. to raise money for Beads of Courage. She traveled through Douglas County on May 30. (Provided photo) | By Karen Larsen | Commuters on Pine Canyon May 30 may have noticed a woman pushing a cart with a red umbrella and some ice chests. Those who saw her surely knew that there must be a story behind this woman, who was...
read more

Technology provides a unique way to share local history

| By Karen Larsen | Have you ever passed by a historic site, a viewpoint or other place of interest and wished that there were more information available? Leisurely travelers who pass through the small town of Douglas, and notice the Historic Douglas Church may easily have this feeling. Who were the people who started this church? When was it built, and is it still in use? What was this little...
read more

History: Couple wedded in Douglas Church

| Selected by Karen Larsen | Here is a wedding announcement from the April 19, 1923 edition of the Waterville Empire-Press. According to Waterville resident Paul Hinderer, the couple was his aunt and uncle, and after moving around the state a bit, they settled in Withrow. They have three children still living: Ramon Hinderer, Clara Lipp and Joan Eskew, all of East Wenatchee. Viebrock-Hinderer...
read more

Dog takes top honors for Douglas couple

| By Karen Larsen | A four-year-old Weimaraner named Schwinn has brought home high honors for Douglas owners Walt and Marilyn Gearhart, as well as for her co-owners and handlers Alan and Pamela Sage of Battle Ground. Schwinn won first for her breed at the 137th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York City in February. The show is the second-longest continuously...
read more

Pictorial History: One-hole golf course at Douglas

Ross Wilkinson gets in a few strokes of golf at the one-hole course at the town of Douglas in April of 1965. Watching are Warner Friel, who built the course, Mrs. James Smith and children Dennis and Jodine. Originally intended as a putting green, the course grew and would also include a driving range. It was located along the state highway just across from Friel’s gas pumps and general store....
read more

Holiday cheer in Douglas

Photos by Karen Larsen The doors of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Douglas were once again opened on Dec. 8 for the annual Douglas Community Historical Association Chili Feed and Song Fest. Over 30 people of all ages came to enjoy a meal in the basement of the church at 5:30 p.m., followed by a marshmallow roast outdoors. Later, the...
read more

New Wheels in Town

Photo courtesy of The Wenatchee World The “tin lizzie” that arrived in the town of Douglas with Jess Smith at the wheel drew an audience of the town’s businessmen in this 1907-08 photo. Standing in front of the Douglas Hardware Co., the group includes the hotel man, Bishop Graham, third from left. Sixth from left is Ernest Helm, clerk at the hardware store. The store, owned by Marshall...
read more

Church Dedication

Photo courtesy of The Wenatchee World Although automobiles were becoming popular, horse-drawn buggies were still being used when this photo was taken of the crowd of people attending dedication of the German Lutheran Church in Douglas on Sept. 19, 1915. The church congregation was organized in 1889 with Rev. M. Steinke, John Willms, G.H. Westerman, H. Willms, Peter Kirchner, Frank Monk, Nanke...
read more