Pictorial Past | Pioneer Waterville home

This log house, occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Horatio N. Wilcox, was one of the first built in Waterville.
read more

Pictorial Past | Waterville beginnings

Early day Waterville. The date is unknown. Do you know when this photo may have been taken or recognize any of the buildings? Email us at weekly@empire-press.com. (Information and provided photo/Darrin...
read more

Our Past | 1957: North Central Washington gives library system a try

According to the North Central Regional Library website, the library system was established in 1960.
read more

News From Our Past

From the pages of The Wenatchee (Daily) World and the Douglas County Empire Press   100 years ago — 1918 All parts of North Central Washington were reached by a thunderstorm which swept across the state from the Pacific Coast last evening. The rain came after a long dry spell and was heartily welcomed by all, especially the wheat men. O.M. McQuilken of Leahy made a business trip to...
read more

Our Past | 1951: Donkey baseball at the fairgrounds

We’ve seen a lot of donkey basketball in recent years, but not much donkey baseball. This article, published in the July 12, 1951 edition of the Waterville Empire-Press, tells of an upcoming game, which was a fundraiser for the fireplace in Pioneer Park. In the same paper, there was also an article about an upcoming square dance to raise money for the fireplace.
read more

Pictorial Past | The end of an era

Waterville area residents pose for a photo in front of a Burlington Northern Locomotive during ceremonies in Douglas to commemorate the end of the Mansfield Line on March 2, 1985.
read more

News From Our Past

From the pages of The Wenatchee (Daily) World and the Douglas County Empire Press   100 years ago — 1918 The Presbyterian and Christian churches in Waterville have agreed to consolidate and hold a combined service for the duration of the war. Rev. J.A. Longston, who has been pastor of the Christian Church, will be pastor for the consolidated service. Six area men enlisted in the Army...
read more

News From Our Past

7/18/18: This column has been updated to correct an error with a name.   From the pages of The Wenatchee (Daily) World and the Douglas County Empire Press   100 years ago — 1918 Mrs. William Dahlke returned to her home in Waterville Sunday after staying at the home of her son for the past week. Jessie Strauffer of Waterville is in Wenatchee today visiting friends. C.C....
read more

Pictorial Past | Ready for demolition

Bridge No. 41 of the Mansfield Branch is shown here in May of 1987 spanning the Dutch Henry Draw, about a mile east of Withrow.
read more

Our Past | 1926: Waterville says goodbye to dust, and hello to oil

Selected by Karen Larsen According to Waterville Mayor Royal DeVaney, the town may be receiving some funding to perform chip sealing on certain roads in 2020. The resurfacing method combines the use of asphalt and gravel that bond together almost immediately after the resurfacing. The roads can be driven on in 30 minutes, and there is a minimal amount of loose gravel in this process. This...
read more