Pictorial Past | Students of Acme School

Vina Leahy taught at the Acme School, northeast of Waterville, in 1924.
read more

Pictorial Past | Flooding aftermath near Douglas Creek

A Great Northern Railway official surveys flood damage to the Mansfield Branch Line at Douglas Creek in June of 1948.
read more

Pictorial Past | Douglas County pioneer

The small community of St. Andrews was named after Captain James Saint Andrews (1838-1891), a Civil War veteran who served in the Michigan’s 11th Cavalry.
read more

Pictorial Past | Early day Waterville

Looking north at Waterville from the base of Standpipe Hill in 1913. (Information and photo provided by Darrin...
read more

Pictorial Past | Services from the past in Farmer

The Farmer service station and post office shown here during the late 1940s.
read more

Pictorial Past | School time at Withrow

Students gather at Withrow High School in 1934. Top row, Ray Danzel, Joe Rinke, Lois Painter, Eleanor Mitchell, Mary Rinke, Antoinette Secor, Dorothy Kinzel, Miriam Hawes and Louise Supplee; middle row, Jerry Peterson, Erin Sprauer, Vera Painter, Ethwyn Mitchell, Bernice Whitehall, Lottie Nollmeyer, Clara Besel, Frances Heisig and Amelia Jordan; bottom row, unidentified, Loren Armstrong, Walt...
read more

Pictorial Past | Community of wheat

Wheat is stockpiled in the middle of Withrow during 1982 in this Vernon Beckstead photo.
read more

Pictorial Past | Popular store prepares to reopen

The new Douglas General Store owner Judi Sparks (1947-1995) along with her friends and family apply a fresh coat of paint on the building in July of 1984 in preparation of its reopening.
read more

Pictorial Past | Mold’s community schoolhouse

The former Mold Schoolhouse shown here in 1972. It was located near the intersection of Road 9 NE (Mold Road) and Road S NE, nine miles north of Coulee City in Douglas County. (Information and provided photo/Darrin...
read more

Pictorial Past | Mud Spring schoolhouse nears its end

This is the former Mud Spring schoolhouse in 1971, a year before it was torn down. After the school closed it served as a community club meeting place. It was located eight miles west and one mile north of Mansfield at the intersection of Road C NW and Road 15 NW. (Information and provided photo/Darrin...
read more